TESOL / TEFL Certification
The TESOL Certificate Program is designed for
teachers of English as a Foreign Language who want to continue their
professional development, for professionals in Canada considering a
career change, for international students who wish to be trained as
teachers of the English language, and for recent college graduates
who want to travel and teach abroad.
Certificate candidates receive intensive academic training and take part in relevant professional and cultural experiences, all within a six week period of instruction.
• Explore different methodologies, materials, and technologies
• Learn more about language and theories of second language learning
• Engage in meaningful interactions with Canadian and International colleagues
• Immerse yourself in English and Montreal culture.
The program provides an integrated curriculum of courses, workshops, and supervised student teaching organized around six, one-week units theory and two weeks practicum:
• Foreign Language Experience
• Language Awareness
• Student Profile
• Teaching Techniques
• Teaching Practice and Observation
• Materials Project
The Language System of English
Discuss theories on the origins of language; compare writing systems; experience how sounds are produced (phonology), sound patterns make up the English language (phonetics), how words are formed (morphology), sentences are structured (syntax), meaning is conveyed (semantics) and languages are used (pragmatics).
Teaching, Learning and Assessing
• Talk about how languages are learned, how the four
skills (reading,writing, listening & speaking) fit into a model of
communicative competence, and what all of this means for designing
classroom activities and assessing student performance.
Language Classroom Practices
• Learn how to plan lessons, design activities, and
assess learners. Become familiar with techniques for promoting
interaction, providing feedback, utilizing textbooks, developing
one's own materials, dealing with mixed ability level groups,
incorporating strategy training in lessons, and managing a
Student Teaching Practicum
• Gain hours of supervised team-student teaching.
Participants have an opportunity to implement the materials they
have developed and the concepts they have learned over the week, as
well as receive feedback from experienced teachers.
• For more details on the content of this program, you may contact our TESOL Department and ask for the TESOL booklet.
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
Canada College, Montreal, Canada.
• How much?
$50 non-refundable application fee.
$1550.00 tuition fee.
University BA, BSc. or equivalent for those who need Standard Level 1 teaching from TESL Canada Federation.
If you do not have a bachelor’s degree
• If the applicant does not have a university degree and wishes to register for this program, she/he will be accepted but is not eligible for standard level 1 certification from TESL Canada. The graduates will receive their certificate from Canada College enabling them to teach ESL courses anywhere in the world. The only difference is that those without a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to teach TESOL courses.
How To Apply
We have rolling admissions, so we encourage you to apply now.
• If you are an international student requiring a visa, you
should submit your application and all supporting documents as soon
as you can to allow sufficient time to process your visa request.
See Special Instructions for International Students below.
• Official copies of your college transcripts should be sent directly to the program coordinator: Ms. Daïnn Legris.
• We are happy to accept unofficial copies of your transcripts
attached to your application pending the receipt of official ones.
A non-refundable $50 fee should accompany your application.
• Your tuition balance is due upon arrival to attend the first
• We accept cheques drawn on Canadian or U.S. banks. Cheques
should be written payable to: Canada College.
• Credit Cards, Interact, and Money Order are all accepted as
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT INFORMATION
In most cases, since the program is less than six months long, you do not need to apply for a student visa; a visiting visa would be enough.
• Apply directly through the Certificate Program.
• Visa processing takes several weeks, so we suggest you apply to the program at least 6 months before the program starts.
If your English proficiency is not at the level to enroll in the
TESOL program, you may take certain English courses and pass the
requirement stipulated by TESL CANADA prior to registration in the
TESOL Certificate Program.
TESL Canada's English Language Proficiancy Requirements
|English Language Proficiency Tests||Score – Program Trainees|
|TOEFL||Computer- based 213 / paper-based 550|
|And TWE or Writing score on CBT||5 recommend 5.5|
|And TSE||55 recommend 60|
|Or iBT||80 overall with a minimum score of 20 in each area.|
|Or IELTS||6.5 overall|
|Or MELAB||85 / with a speaking test score 4|
|Or CAE, CPE, BEC Higher||Cambridge Advanced Certificate, Cambridge Proficiency English, Business English Cambridge Higher Exam|
|Or CanTEST||Listening, reading, writing 5, speaking 4.5|
|Or CAEL||Band 60 overall, with a min. of 60 in each of the writing and speaking subtests|
|Or High School graduation from a high school in Canada, including minimum English Grade 12 score of 70%|
|Or Completion of an undergraduate degree from an English-speaking university|
|Or Common European Framework||C1|
|Or Canadian Language Benchmarks||CLB 9 in each area|
• All scores should be sent to the attention of Ms. Daïnn Legris
Since it can take several weeks for ETS to send us your score to us and we cannot accept you without the required proof of English proficiency, we suggest you:
• Take the test as soon as possible, and Send us an unofficial
photocopy of your score with your application (or shortly
thereafter). We will begin processing your application with your
unofficial score while we wait for your official score. Canada
College TOEFL code is 0173.